Untitled Document
Español | Home | Collaborate | Contact us | Links | Site Map | Register..

Home
Untitled Document



    Dominicana On Line - El Portal de la República Dominicana

    Cultural Heritage

    PLACES OF INTEREST IN THE COLONIAL CITY OF SANTO DOMINGO: FIRST CAPITAL OF AMERICA

    Mapa de Santo Domingo

    METROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL, THE FIRST IN AMERICAMETROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL, THE FIRST IN AMERICA
    METROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL, THE FIRST IN AMERICA
    01. METROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL, THE FIRST IN AMERICA
    ARZOBISPO MERIÑO corner with ARZ. NOUEL (Mon-Sat 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
    Construction officially began in 1523 under Bishop Geraldini’s watch and was completed in 1541. On 12 February 1546, the Metropolitan Cathedral was erected by Father Paulo III under orders of Carlos V. Its features include its cross vaults on ribs supported by thick walls. Outstanding features include its three portal entrances, especially the heavily adorned portal at the western entrance. Its interior includes several domes in the chapels, representing different eras in which various different historically valuable panels with paintings of saints were made.
    CHURCH OF THE SANTA CLARA CONVENTCHURCH OF THE SANTA CLARA CONVENT
    CHURCH OF THE SANTA CLARA CONVENT
    02. CHURCH OF THE SANTA CLARA CONVENT
    PADRE BILLINI St. corner with ISABEL LA CATÓLICA
    The Sisters of Santa Clara arrived to the colony in 1552, although their convent dates from the 17th century. In 1873, the monastery, in ruins, was given to the Sisters of the Caridad del Cardenal Sancha (“Cardinal Sancha Charity”), who restored it and live there still, administrating a high school. It is a single story with only one bay with a 17th-century caisson dome over the sanctuary. The northern and western spans can only be appreciated from the outside; two simple portal entrances and a buttress; the other two sides adjoin the structures of the cloister.
    IMPERIAL CONVENT OF SANTO DOMINGOIMPERIAL CONVENT OF SANTO DOMINGO
    IMPERIAL CONVENT OF SANTO DOMINGO

    IMPERIAL CONVENT OF SANTO DOMINGOIMPERIAL CONVENT OF SANTO DOMINGO
    IMPERIAL CONVENT OF SANTO DOMINGO
    03. IMPERIAL CONVENT OF SANTO DOMINGO
    Padre Billini St. corner with Hostos
    This temple was completed in 1535. Subsequent additional construction around a central atrium included a convent, temple, chapel of the Third Order and a building that housed the first university in America. In its interior the Rosario chapel is notable for its adorned entrance as well as the astrological features on its stone arches. In 1746, modifications were made to the medieval façade, adding ornaments, surface works with paintings and embossments, adding a variety of Baroque influences, somewhat timid as was common on the island in those times. Inside the temple are various stone altars and works of historic artistic value.
    RUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERYRUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERY
    RUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERY

    RUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERYRUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERY
    RUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERY
    04. RUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERY
    HOSTOS corner with EMILIANO TEJERA St.
    The San Franciscan Order arrived on the island with Governor Nicholas de Ovando in 1502, and immediately began building its convent of wood on the top of a hill. The stone monastery was built between 1523 and 1664. The building that has survived to the present day is the result of modifications that were done in 1772. In the early 19th century, its arches collapsed after having been neglected for a period of time. Altogether it included the chapel of the Third Order, the convent, and the church, and levels of various structures with some original arches still identifiable.
    OUR LADY OF HIGH GRACE CHURCHOUR LADY OF HIGH GRACE CHURCH
    OUR LADY OF HIGH GRACE CHURCH
    05. OUR LADY OF HIGH GRACE CHURCH
    HOSTOS corner with MERCEDES St.
    It is a structure dedicated to the coronation of the Virgin of High Grace by the Vatican in 1922. It is an eclectic structure, with neo-classic tendency built on the chapel that already existed since colonial times in the complex of the old San Nicholas de Bari Hospital. It was the first structure built in Santo Domingo with a gun wall of reinforced concrete.
    RUINS OF THE SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI CHURCH AND HOSPITALRUINS OF THE SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI CHURCH AND HOSPITAL
    RUINS OF THE SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI CHURCH AND HOSPITAL

    RUINS OF THE SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI CHURCH AND HOSPITALRUINS OF THE SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI CHURCH AND HOSPITAL
    RUINS OF THE SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI CHURCH AND HOSPITAL
    06. RUINS OF THE SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI CHURCH AND HOSPITAL
    HOSTOS corner with LUPERÓN ST.
    Begun in 1503 by Governor Nicholas de Ovando, its construction was completed in 1552 as the first hospital in America. The building has three bays, following the typical hospital of that era. The central bay housed religious worship, and the side and posterior bays housed the patient wards.
    Old Church of the JesuitsOld Church of the Jesuits
    Old Church of the Jesuits
    07. Old Church of the Jesuits
    LAS DAMAS ST. PLAZA MARÍA DE TOLEDO
    Open daily 8:00 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.
    Attraction: Changing of the guard at noon. Free Admission.
    Originally belonging to the Compañía de Jesús, it was completed in 1755. It is popularly known as the Church of the Jesuits. It shed its religious character in 1772 when the Jesuits were expelled from Spanish domains. The last restoration, carried out in 1961, turned it into the National Pantheon that hold the tombs of distinguished figures from Dominican history.
    SANTA BARBARA CHURCHSANTA BARBARA CHURCH
    SANTA BARBARA CHURCH
    08. SANTA BARBARA CHURCH
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA St. corner with AVENIDA ESPAÑA
    Located in the old stone masons’ neighborhood, it was completed at the end of the 16th century, according to documents. It was rebuilt during the 18th century after being destroyed by a hurricane. Its exterior maintains its curved brick molding, giving its façade a Baroque accent. Flanking this façade are two unequal towers with stone and brick decorations. The Padre de la Patria (“Father of the Country”), Juan Pablo Duarte, was baptized in this church.
    TEMPLE OF MERCIESTEMPLE OF MERCIES
    TEMPLE OF MERCIES

    TEMPLE OF MERCIESTEMPLE OF MERCIES
    TEMPLE OF MERCIES

    09. TEMPLE OF MERCIES
    MERCEDES ST. corner with JOSÉ REYES ST.
    The temple was built as a convent between 1527 and 1555. It has been renovated several times, since its structure has suffered severe damage with the passage of time. The current arched domes were built in 1635 as well as the western portal. The northern portal dates back to 1678. Its interior is distinguished by the large striated shell over the sanctuary.
    CHURCH OF THE REGINA ANGELORUM CONVENTCHURCH OF THE REGINA ANGELORUM CONVENT
    CHURCH OF THE REGINA ANGELORUM CONVENT
    10. CHURCH OF THE REGINA ANGELORUM CONVENT
    PADRE BILLINI ST. corner with JOSÉ REYES
    It belonged to the Santa Catalina de Siena monastery of the Dominican Sisters who arrived in 1560. The church is estimated to have been completed in 1722. In its interior there is an elegant dome over concave triangular surfaces, as well as details over the door lintels. The upper part of the façade has one of the most interesting decorations of the colony. The central niche is flanked by beveled pilaster strips in an example of Baroque flourishes beyond any other in the colonial era.
    OUR LADY OF CARMEN CHURCHOUR LADY OF CARMEN CHURCH
    OUR LADY OF CARMEN CHURCH
    11. OUR LADY OF CARMEN CHURCH
    ARZOBISPO NOUEL St. corner with SÁNCHEZ
    This is one of the smallest temples in the Colonial City of Santo Domingo. It was the initiative of an association that at first was called the Remedios del Carmen and later added the name Jesús Nazareno. Built after 1615, it was expanded in 1729, completing the complex that is conserved to the present day. Its northern portal is notable for its rich decorative brickwork.
    CHAPEL OF SAN ANDRÉS HOSPITALCHAPEL OF SAN ANDRÉS HOSPITAL
    CHAPEL OF SAN ANDRÉS HOSPITAL
    12. CHAPEL OF SAN ANDRÉS HOSPITAL
    ARZOBISPO NOUEL St. corner with SÁNCHEZ - PLAZOLETA DEL CARMEN
    The San Andres chapel is closely tied to the hospital with the same name. Its construction began in 1562 by the Duke of Rivera. A beautiful Baroque panel painted with saints can be seen by the large altar. It is estimated to have been made locally at the end of the 17th century.
    SAN LÁZARO CHURCH AND HOSPITALSAN LÁZARO CHURCH AND HOSPITAL
    SAN LÁZARO CHURCH AND HOSPITAL
    13. SAN LÁZARO CHURCH AND HOSPITAL
    SANTOMÉ ST. corner with JUAN ISIDRO PÉREZ
    This chapel belonged to the hospital for lepers and was built on a hill on the outskirts of the city to keep the possible infection from reaching the population. It was completed in 1759. Only unrecognizable remnants of the old hospital remain, as its continual use has led to additions that mask the identity of the original structure.
    SAN MIGUEL CHURCHSAN MIGUEL CHURCH
    SAN MIGUEL CHURCH

    14. SAN MIGUEL CHURCH
    JOSÉ REYES ST. corner with JUAN ISIDRO PÉREZ St.
    It began to receive mention in history as a well-constructed building around 1740. It was destroyed by the 1751 earthquake and later rebuilt in 1765. On its exterior, simple curved scrolls enhance a simple Baroque movement of the façade.
    SAINT ANTHONY HERMITAGESAINT ANTHONY HERMITAGE
    SAINT ANTHONY HERMITAGE

    15. SAINT ANTHONY HERMITAGE
    VICENTE CELESTINO DUARTE corner with HOSTOS - PLAZA DE SAN ANTÓN
    Located in the neighborhood with the same name, its origins are traced to the beginning of the old city of Santo Domingo. The hermitage was set on fire by Drake at the end of the 16th century and destroyed by the San Zenon cyclone in 1930. It has since been rebuilt.
    CHAPEL OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LOS REMEDIOSCHAPEL OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LOS REMEDIOS
    CHAPEL OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LOS REMEDIOS
    16. CHAPEL OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LOS REMEDIOS
    LAS DAMAS St. corner with MERCEDES
    It was built by the Davila family as a private premise. On its brick exterior, there is a bell wall with three arches. It currently houses diverse cultural activities.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    17. CHAPEL OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL ROSARIO
    (OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY)
    17. CHAPEL OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL ROSARIO (OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY)
    ON THE EASTERN BANK OF OZAMA RIVER
    It is built on a headland, which makes it possible to be seen from the colonial city. It was built after the arrival of the Dominican Order in 1510. The main entrance, facing west, leads through a portal frame, which in the style of a narthex  (entryway), is a prominent feature in the church, recalling the primitive Roman churches, the only church in the colonial city with this detail.
    FORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGOFORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGO
    FORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGO

    FORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGOFORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGO
    FORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGO

    FORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGOFORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGO
    FORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGO
    18. FORTRESS OF SANTO DOMINGO
    LAS DAMAS ST. (HOURS: Monday - Saturday 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.)
    First military construction in the city, the fortress was completed in 1507. The main building has a tower finished with a battlement, with wide walls supporting arched mezzanines. In the inner court of the fortress, the original cistern and powder key can be found. The complex includes the preservation of several annexes, including the Santiago Fort, in ruins, the gun platform, the powder key, and the Carlos III gateway, built during the 18th century. The statue located at the entrance is of the chronicler Gonzalo Fernandez de Oviedo, who wrote La Historia General y Natural de Indias (“The General and Natural History of the Indies”). The site is enclosed by a concrete wall built during the dictatorship of 1930-1961.
    INVINCIBLE FORTINVINCIBLE FORT
    INVINCIBLE FORT

    INVINCIBLE FORTINVINCIBLE FORT
    INVINCIBLE FORT
    19. INVINCIBLE FORT
    AVENIDA PRESIDENTE FRANCISCO ALBERTO CAAMAÑO DEÑÓ (at the foot of the DAVILA HOUSE).
    Built in the 17th century, the fort is located behind the estate of the DavilaHouse and forms parts of the line of defense along the river.
    FORT SAN DIEGOFORT SAN DIEGO
    FORT SAN DIEGO

    FORT SAN DIEGOFORT SAN DIEGO
    FORT SAN DIEGO
    20. FORT SAN DIEGO
    Located on the center of the boulevard of AVENIDA PRESIDENTE FRANCISCO ALBERTO CAAMAÑO DEÑÓ.
    Located to the east of the gateway with the same name. It is a 1992 romantic reconstruction, with an external curved form. The edges of the fort meet the shore of the Ozama River and its high walls and port embrasures indicate that this was a main point of defense for the river.
    SAN DIEGO GATEWAYSAN DIEGO GATEWAY
    SAN DIEGO GATEWAY
    21. SAN DIEGO GATEWAY
    AVENIDA PRESIDENTE FRANCISCO ALBERTO CAAMAÑO DEÑÓ. (Entrance at PLAZA ESPAÑA)
    This is the main maritime port of the city and dates back to 1576. Emblazoned with the coat of arms of the king, of the island of Hispaniola, and of the City of Santo Domingo. It was restored in the 1980s and the original coat-of-arms were restored as well.
    FORT ATARAZANASFORT ATARAZANAS
    FORT ATARAZANAS

    FORT ATARAZANASFORT ATARAZANAS
    FORT ATARAZANAS
    22. FORT ATARAZANAS
    AVENIDA PRESIDENTE FRANCISCO ALBERTO CAAMAÑO DEÑÓ. (COLÓN St. corner with LAS REALES ATARAZANAS)
    Built for the specific use as a residence for the Royal Shipyards. It was renovated in the 1970s.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    23. ANGLE FORT
    23. ANGLE FORT
    AVENIDA PRESIDENTE FRANCISCO ALBERTO CAAMAÑO DEÑÓ corner with JUAN PARRA ALBA.
    Small military fort built in the 18th century. It was renovated in 1991 as part of an effort to restore the wall on the east side.
    FORT SAINT BARBARAFORT SAINT BARBARA
    FORT SAINT BARBARA
    24. FORT SAINT BARBARA
    JUAN PARRA ALBA ST. corner with MELLA Ave.
    This fort was built in the 18th century. It includes ramps, gun platform and parapet merlons. Its strategic location overlooks part of the city and the Ozama River, allowing defense of the northeast flank. The road connecting it with other forts, Camino de Ronda, has been preserved.
    FORT SAINT ANTHONYFORT SAINT ANTHONY
    FORT SAINT ANTHONY
    25. FORT SAINT ANTHONY
    HOSTOS corner with GENERAL CABRAL
    This fort is one of the seven bulwarks of the northern body of troops, built in 1672. It was restored in 1991.
    FORT SAN MIGUELFORT SAN MIGUEL
    FORT SAN MIGUEL
    26. FORT SAN MIGUEL
    JUAN ISIDRO PÉREZ ST. corner with JOSÉ REYES ST.
    Built in the 17th century, it is located in front of the temple with the same name. It is now in ruins and only the walls on the flank and left side are still standing.
    FORT SAN LAZAROFORT SAN LAZARO
    FORT SAN LAZARO
    27. FORT SAN LAZARO
    JUAN ISIDRO PÉREZ ST. between SANTOMÉ and JOSÉ REYES
    Built at the end of the 17th century in a pentagonal shape, remains show evidence that it has an embrasure or mounting cannon at its flanks and facing walls. It was partially renovated in the 1970s.
    FORT OF THE CONCEPTIONFORT OF THE CONCEPTION
    FORT OF THE CONCEPTION
    28. FORT OF THE CONCEPTION
    PALO HINCADO ST corner with MERCEDES ST.
    With the Fuerte de la Concepción, construction work was reinitiated in 1678 to fortify the city, according to the 1672 blueprints made by the Italian military engineer employed by the King of Spain.
    COUNT’S GATEWAYCOUNT’S GATEWAY
    COUNT’S GATEWAY
    29. COUNT’S GATEWAY
    PALO HINCADO ST. corner with DEL CONDE ST.
    This puerta, or gateway, was kept closed until Count Peñalba converted it into a bulwark to defend against the British Naval Forces in May 1655. The gateway was the site of the first acts of independence of the Republic, thus instilling it with symbolic value.
    GATEWAY OF MERCYGATEWAY OF MERCY
    GATEWAY OF MERCY
    30. GATEWAY OF MERCY
    CALLE PALO HINCADO ESQUINA CALLE ARZOBISPO PORTES
    Originally called Puerta de la Sabana (“Gateway of the Savannah”), its name was changed in 1842, after an earthquake, when a hermitage was built nearby with that name. It is from here the canon was shot that was to be the catalyst for the declaration of national independence by the patrician Matias Ramon Mella, whose statue has been erected on the spot.
    FORT SAN GILFORT SAN GIL
    FORT SAN GIL
    31. FORT SAN GIL
    PASEO MARÍTIMO across from corner with PALO HINCADO and CALLE PINA ST.
    The fort was built as a large fortified tower in 1568. It tumbled on 29 May 1887 as a result of erosion from the waves. It was subsequently rebuilt following landscape criteria more than historic restoration. With its left side facing the sea, this bulwark is made up of a polygon with three back sides and two front-facing walls. It is the first in a line of defense of territory to the west of the city and it also provided protection for the beach located at its base.
    FORT SAN JOSEFORT SAN JOSE
    FORT SAN JOSE
    32. FORT SAN JOSE
    PASEO MARÍTIMO and/or PASEO PRESIDENTE BILLINI corner with corner with 19 DE MARZO ST.
    Also known as “New Fort” and “Fort of the Study,” it forms part of the military buildings that served as a line of defense and walls, due to its southern position, for the city of Santo Domingo. It was built during the latter part of the 17th century.
    GARGOYLE HOUSEGARGOYLE HOUSE
    GARGOYLE HOUSE
    33. GARGOYLE HOUSE
    MERCEDES ST. No. 6.
    HEADQUARTERS OF THE DOMINICAN DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION (FDD)

    Built in the early 16th century, it is named for the six gargoyles on its roof. These mythological creatures, in addition to serving as gutters, were said to help chase away evil spirits. At this site, on 17 August 1883, the musical piece premiered that later became the National Anthem of the Republic.
    HOUSE OF JUAN VILLORIAHOUSE OF JUAN VILLORIA
    HOUSE OF JUAN VILLORIA
    34. HOUSE OF JUAN VILLORIA
    MERCEDES ST. No. 4
    Headquarters of the Dominican Development Foundation (FDD in Spanish)

    Built in the early 16th century, the house reflects the daily life of society’s upper class in Colonial times. It was originally the residence of Juan de Villoria, cupbearer of the king, receiver, municipal officer, and Marshall of the island. He lived in Santo Domingo around the time of 1528.
    JESUIT HOUSEJESUIT HOUSE
    JESUIT HOUSE
    35. JESUIT HOUSE
    LAS MERCEDES ST. corner with LAS DAMAS
    Headquarters of the Center for Advanced Humanistic Studies and the Spanish Language.

    The house was built under orders of Fray Nicholas de Ovando in the early 16th century. It was called the Jesuits’ House because they lived there, forming part of the complex of the Old Church of the Religious Order, which was later moved to the Santiago Peace and Gorjon University, where they remained until the Jesuits were expelled from all Spanish domains.
    DAVILA HOUSEDAVILA HOUSE
    DAVILA HOUSE
    36. DAVILA HOUSE
    LAS DAMAS St. # 57. HOSTAL NICOLÁS DE OVANDO (SOFITEL)
    This house was built by the Judge of the Royal Audiencia and Municipality Councilmember of the City. The sober façade has a single entrance with a coat of arms of the Davila family, now reconstructed. Currently it forms part of a hotel leased to the French firm Sofitel.
    HOUSE OF NICHOLAS DE OVANDOHOUSE OF NICHOLAS DE OVANDO
    HOUSE OF NICHOLAS DE OVANDO
    37. HOUSE OF NICHOLAS DE OVANDO
    LAS DAMAS ST. No. 55. HOSTAL NICOLÁS DE OVANDO
    This important 16th-century residence is attributed to Nicholas de Ovando, founder of the definitive placement of the city of Santo Domingo. It is one of the first stone buildings in the Colonial City. Its flat façade has a stone gothic entrance in the style of Isabella. Currently it has been restored and adjoined to the Davila House to serve as a hotel run by the French firm Sofitel.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    38. HOUSE OF HERNAN CORTES
    38. HOUSE OF HERNAN CORTES
    LAS DAMAS ST. corner with DEL CONDE. EMBASSY OF FRANCE.
    This was one of the first houses built at the beginning of the founding of the city in the 16th century. This two-story house has traditionally been attributed to be the residence of Hernan Cortes. Cultural activities are held in its halls and patio.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    39. PRESIDENTS’ HOUSE
    39. PRESIDENTS’ HOUSE
    PELLERANO ALFAU ST. corner with LAS DAMAS. RESIDENCE OF THE ARCHBISHOP OF SANTO DOMINGO.
    Residence of important figures living in the Colonial City, the current structure was renovated in the 19th century over the old colonial building. It is called the Presidents’ House because it was linked to several leaders from 1908 to 1916.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    40. HOUSE OF THE SACRAMENT
    40. HOUSE OF THE SACRAMENT
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA ST. No.55. USED AS OFFICES BY THE ARCHBISHOP OF SANTO DOMINGO.
    Built in the 16th century, this colonial-era house was modified in the early 20th century, with additions of two plateresque-style balconies. It was the residence of the Garay family, who offered it to the Holy Sacrament, according to popular legend, for the salvation of their daughter whose life was in danger.
    BORGELLA PALACE  (PREVIOUS HOME OF DIEGO DE HERRERA)BORGELLA PALACE  (PREVIOUS HOME OF DIEGO DE HERRERA)
    BORGELLA PALACE (PREVIOUS HOME OF DIEGO DE HERRERA)
    41. BORGELLA PALACE (PREVIOUS HOME OF DIEGO DE HERRERA)
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA ST. #103. HEADQUARTERS OF THE COLONIAL CITY OF SANTO DOMINGO.
    It was the sixteenth-century home of Lord Diego de Herrea, an important colonial figure. It was acquired as a residence by the Haitian Governor Geronimo Borgella (1822-1844), who remodeled it as the Governor’s House, giving it its current appearance. The palace housed the Royal Audience during the annex to Spain (1863), with various subsequent uses: Tribunal of Justice, once again Governor’s House, and headquarters for the Senate of the Republic, among others.
    CONSISTORIAL PALACECONSISTORIAL PALACE
    CONSISTORIAL PALACE
    42. CONSISTORIAL PALACE
    ARZOBISPO MERIÑO ST. corner with EL CONDE
    This was the first district council established in the New World. Its current appearance reflects the 1911 renovation that covered over its original structure. It has an eclectic appearance featuring a corner tower that has become an urban landmark. For many years this tower provided a public clock for the city. The building has had several different uses; currently it is used as offices by the city council of the national district.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    43. HOUSE OF COINS
    43. HOUSE OF COINS
    ARZOBISPO MERINO ST. NO. 358.
    This building has been linked with the coining of money due to its elaborate façade detailed with five medallions adorning the complex.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    44. CORDON HOUSE
    44. CORDON HOUSE
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA ST. corner with EMILIANO TEJERA.
    CULTURAL CENTER FOR THE DOMINICAN POPULAR BANK
    This was one of the first two-story houses built in the early 16th century. It has an interesting carved-stone entrance with a cordon typical of Santo Domingo’s civic architecture. It was the home of Francisco de Garay and served as a shelter in 1509 for the Viceroy Diego Colon.
    THE SHIPYARDS SECTORTHE SHIPYARDS SECTOR
    THE SHIPYARDS SECTOR
    45. THE SHIPYARDS SECTOR
    LAS ATARAZANAS ST. and VICENTE CELESTINO DUARTE
    These streets are named after the Royal Shipyards. The houses date back to the 16th century and are examples of domestic medieval architecture. The neighborhood is closely tied to the independence of the Republic, due to the activities of Juan Pablo Duarte and his father. Currently the buildings house stores with arts and craftwork and restaurants.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    46. HOUSE OF THE ACADEMIES(LILIS’ HOUSE)
    46. HOUSE OF THE ACADEMIES(LILIS’ HOUSE)
    MERCEDES ST. No. 204
    HEADQUARTERS FOR THE ACADEMIES OF HISTORY, LANGUAGE, AND MEDICINE

    Made up of two old buildings that were adjoined at the end of the 19th century to be occupied as a single residence by President Ulises Hereaus (Lilis). French-style architectural features were added to the colonial structure.
    CASA DEL TAPAHOUSE OF THE COVERED ONEHOUSE OF THE COVERED ONE
    HOUSE OF THE COVERED ONE
    47. HOUSE OF THE COVERED ONE
    19 DE MARZO ST. corner with PADRE BILLINI
    Two-story building built between 1554 and 1556 by the Deacon of the Santo Domingo Cathedral, Duque de Rivera, whose coat of arms crowns the stone doorway at the main entrance. Its name is derived from the legend of the mysterious figure who once lived there and kept his face covered in order to avoid being recognized. It is said that he was the twin brother of the King of Spain, a noble Spaniard disgraced by leprosy, so he hid his disfigured features.
    HOUSE OF FRANCISCO DEL ROSARIO SÁNCHEZHOUSE OF FRANCISCO DEL ROSARIO SÁNCHEZ
    HOUSE OF FRANCISCO DEL ROSARIO SÁNCHEZ
    48. HOUSE OF FRANCISCO DEL ROSARIO SÁNCHEZ
    19 DE MARZO ST. No.109.
    Founding Father of the country Francisco del Rosario Sanchez was born in this house; here Rosario Sanchez raised the first national flag and pronounced the proclamation of independence of the country at the Puerta del Conde (“Count’s Gateway”) on 27 February 1844.
    HOUSE OF MATÍAS RAMÓN MELLA.HOUSE OF MATÍAS RAMÓN MELLA.
    HOUSE OF MATÍAS RAMÓN MELLA.
    49. HOUSE OF MATÍAS RAMÓN MELLA.
    SÁNCHEZ ST. # 204.
    One of the Dominican Founding Fathers of the Country was born in this house; he shot the blunderbuss at the Puerta de la Misericordia (“Gateway of Mercy”), which initiated the process leading to the proclamation of national independence on the night of 27 February 1844.
    HOUSE OF THE LODGE CRADLE OF AMERICA No. 2HOUSE OF THE LODGE CRADLE OF AMERICA No. 2
    HOUSE OF THE LODGE CRADLE OF AMERICA No. 2

    HOUSE OF THE LODGE CRADLE OF AMERICA No. 2HOUSE OF THE LODGE CRADLE OF AMERICA No. 2
    HOUSE OF THE LODGE CRADLE OF AMERICA No. 2
    50. HOUSE OF THE LODGE CRADLE OF AMERICA No. 2
    JOSÉ REYES ST. No. 112
    This is a two-story building with a stone entrance complemented by a triangular gable with three shields. Inside there is a 1941 mural painting by Spanish artist Jose Vela Zanetti showing the building and subsequent destruction of the temple of King Solomon. It is estimated that its construction dates back to the same period when the Convento de las Mercedes (“Convent of Mercies”) was completed, between 1546 and 1549. Between 1616 and 1618, Fray Gabriel Tellez (known better by his pseudonym, Tirso de Molina), a renowned Spanish playwright, lived there. In 1859, President Pedro Santana donated it to the Lodge that occupies it today. (Source: CIBC.)
    The House of Esperanza LodgeThe House of Esperanza Lodge
    The House of Esperanza Lodge
    51. The House of Esperanza Lodge
    HOSTOS STREET NO. 317 corner with EMILIANO TEJERA
    This 2-story building maintains the characteristics of colonial homes, conserving the small, 2nd story, northern balconies three holes. It is presumed that it is as old as the San Francisco Monastery. Important members of society in the capital lived in this house, having been the dwelling of the Respectable Esperanza Lodge #9 since 1897 up until now. Source: C.I.B.C.
    ALCÁZAR DE DON DIEGO COLÓN MUSEUMALCÁZAR DE DON DIEGO COLÓN MUSEUM
    ALCÁZAR DE DON DIEGO COLÓN MUSEUM
    52. ALCÁZAR DE DON DIEGO COLÓN MUSEUM
    PLAZA DE ESPAÑA, contiguous with DAMAS ST.
    OPEN TUESDAY TO SATURDAY FROM 9:00 A. M. - 5:00 P.M. SUNDAYS FROM 9:00 A.M. - 4:00 P. M.
    Built in the second decade of the XVI century, it was the seat of the Vice Regal’s Court presided over by the first Vice Regal of America, Diego Colón who lived with the wife Doña María de Toledo. Construction was begun in 1509. It has been abandoned since the XVIII century then was restored around 1955 and converted into a museum with more than 800 original pieces from the XIII to the XX century.
    ROYAL HOUSESROYAL HOUSES
    ROYAL HOUSES
    53. ROYAL HOUSES
    LAS DAMAS ST. corner with MERCEDES. MUSEUM OF THE ROYAL HOUSES
    OPEN TUESDAY TO FRIDAY FROM 9:00 A. M. - 5:00 P.M. SATURDAY AND SUNDAYS FROM 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P. M.
    CLOSED MONDAY
    This is a group of buildings where the original Palace of General Governors or Captains functioned as well as the Palace of the Royal Audience since the beginning of the colony. There is a main door, a copy of the original, made of carved in stone with the shields of Emperor Carlos I, the coat-of-arms of Spain and the acknowledgements of Hispaniola and Santo Domingo.  Today it is a museum with permanent exhibitions on the history of the discovery, the Conquest and the Spanish colonization.
    HOUSE OF BASTIDASHOUSE OF BASTIDAS
    HOUSE OF BASTIDAS
    54. HOUSE OF BASTIDAS
    LAS DAMAS ST. # 3. MUSEUM OF THE TRAMPOLINE CHILD
    MONDAY TO FRIDAY 9:.00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.; SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS 9:00 A.M.- 6:00 P.M.
    Built at the beginning of the XVI century, the House belongs to Don Rodrigo de Bastidas, one of the most prominent members of society in the first half of the XVI century. The house has a large patio, bordered on the north and south by rooms and on the east and west by galleries with half-circle stone arches. 
    THE ROYAL SHIPYARDS NAVAL MUSEUMTHE ROYAL SHIPYARDS NAVAL MUSEUM
    THE ROYAL SHIPYARDS NAVAL MUSEUM
    55. THE ROYAL SHIPYARDS NAVAL MUSEUM
    COLÓN STREET NO. 4 corner with VICENTE CELESTINO DUARTE.
    OPEN MONDAY TO FRIDAY 8:00 A. M. - 3:00 P. M.
    Originally used as a warehouse for storing provisions. Its style is unique in America. It was the seat of the First Court House in the New World. Currently it is a museum that holds the richest collection of underwater archeological treasures having been found in ship-wrecked boats in the territorial waters off of the Dominican Republic from the XVI to the XIX centuries.  
    Old Public Jail.Old Public Jail.
    Old Public Jail.
    56. Old Public Jail.
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA STREET NO.101. CATHEDRAL MUSEUM
    It is an old building whose original and most important use was that of a municipal jail in the XVII century. In previous times, three medallions were carved with the busts of the Fathers of the Nation. In 1842, it was made into a theater and used by the old members of the Trinitarian Society to disseminate their ideas of independence. In the 1920s it went back to being a preventative prison then became the venue for the Chamber of Deputies.
    HOUSE OF JUAN PABLO DUARTEHOUSE OF JUAN PABLO DUARTE
    HOUSE OF JUAN PABLO DUARTE
    57. HOUSE OF JUAN PABLO DUARTE
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA # 308. OPEN 8 A. M. - 6 P. M
    This is the birthplace of Juan Pablo Duarte, visionary of the independence struggle, leader of the Trinitarian movement which culminated in the declaration of Dominican independence in 1844. In this museum one can see the objects, documents, personal property and images and all that is related to the heroic struggle for National Independence. There is also a library in the museum, opened from 8:00 a. m. to 1:00 p. m.
    TOSTADO HOUSETOSTADO HOUSE
    TOSTADO HOUSE
    58. TOSTADO HOUSE
    PADRE BILLINI corner with ARZOBISPO MERIÑO. LOCATION OF THE MUSEUM OF THE DOMINICAN FAMILY
    MONDAY TO FRIDAY 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 A.M. SATURDAY AND SUNDAY 9:00 A.M. TO 4:00 P.M.
    It originally belonged to the writer Francisco de Tostado, who arrived to the island with Nicolás de Ovando in 1502. This house is famous for its Queen Elizabeth Gothic style window which faces north and is unique in America. Originally the house had a large extension of land which surrounded it on the south and bordered on the ocean with lovely gardens and orchards. Later the house served as the Archbishop’s Palace. Currently it holds an important collection of furniture and antique domestic objects.
    GORJON COLLEGEGORJON COLLEGE
    GORJON COLLEGE
    59. GORJON COLLEGE
    ARZOBISPO MERIÑO St. corner with JOSÉ GABRIEL GARCÍA. HOME OF THE SPANISH CULTURAL SOCIETY
    MONDAY TO FRIDAY 10:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. SATURDAY FROM 10:00 A.M. TO 2:00 P.M. CLOSED ON SUNDAYS
    Built in the middle XVI century, it was named in honor of its sponsor, a wealthy land owner who lived in Azua. Elevated to the category of university in 1558, its most important element is its main door with a rectangular arched doorway that displays the Spanish coat of arms in the center. Currently it is the home of the Spanish Cultural Society, dependent on the Spanish Embassy.
    HOUSE OF PEDRO SANTANAHOUSE OF PEDRO SANTANA
    HOUSE OF PEDRO SANTANA
    60. HOUSE OF PEDRO SANTANA
    LUPERÓN STREET corner with HOSTOS No. 308. HALL FOR TEMPORARY EXHIBITIONS.
    The original owners of this XVI century construction were not known, although it is called the Santana house because Pedro Santana lived and died in it in 1864. General Santana was the president of the Dominican Republic on various occasions. Currently the house is being used by the Italian Embassy who uses it as a temporary exhibition hall.  Source: C.I.B.C.
    QUINTA DOMINICA. CULTURE HOUSEQUINTA DOMINICA. CULTURE HOUSE
    QUINTA DOMINICA. CULTURE HOUSE
    61. QUINTA DOMINICA. CULTURE HOUSE
    PADRE BILLINI STREET NO. 202
    OPEN MONDAY - SATURDAY 9:30 A.M. TO 6:00 P.M. SUNDAY FROM 9:30 A.M. TO 2:00 P.M.
    This building, dating from the beginning of the XVI Century, formed part of the Monastery of the Convent of the Dominicans and was later converted into classrooms for the first university in America. The house opened its doors at the end of 2004 with the object of backing the arts, history, education and culture. It has a big patio where a lot of activities are performed. In its rooms there is a permanent exhibition and other temporary exhibitions, debates and classes. www.quintadominica.com
    DOMINICAN PAINTING SCHOOLDOMINICAN PAINTING SCHOOL
    DOMINICAN PAINTING SCHOOL
    62. DOMINICAN PAINTING SCHOOL
    EL CONDE ST. # 58
    It’s a colonial building where many painters have their studios and offer temporary art exhibitions and other similar activities. 
    THE THEATER HOUSETHE THEATER HOUSE
    THE THEATER HOUSE
    63. THE THEATER HOUSE
    ARZOBISPO MERIÑO STREET # 110
    This theater house has been a support for the arts since 1974. Every year in its galleries there are more than thirty painting and photography exhibitions as well as ballet, music, theater performances, conferences and other cultural events. The house is open every day of the year and its café and bar are meeting places for artists. On week days there are jazz performances, new song events and “boleros” nights.
    PORCELAIN MUSEUMPORCELAIN MUSEUM
    64. PORCELAIN MUSEUM
    JOSÉ REYES STREET # 6. HOURS: TUESDAY - SATURDAY 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
    PRICE: ADULTS $50.00 STUDENTS $20.00.
    This building was constructed around the beginning of the XX Century and bears festooned arches, ceramic decorations and other elements reminds one of the Spanish “Moorish” (Arab) style. The building has been the Porcelain Museum since 1978. It is a private museum with pieces from many countries and eras such as Italian, Islamic, Dutch, Chinese, German, British, North American and French.
    THE AMBER  MUSEUMTHE AMBER  MUSEUM
    THE AMBER MUSEUM
    65. THE AMBER MUSEUM
    ARZOBISPO MERIÑO ST. 452 XVI corner with RESTAURACIÓN
    OPEN FROM MONDAY TO SATURDAY FROM 8:30 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. SUNDAYS FROM 9:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
    Dominican amber can be from 15 to 25 million years old. In the museum there are many examples of the gem and historic and scientific information about the vegetation of the era, and the animals that became fossilized inside the amber as well as information about its formation.
    THE LARIMAR MUSEUMTHE LARIMAR MUSEUM
    THE LARIMAR MUSEUM
    66. THE LARIMAR MUSEUM
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA STREET NO. 54.
    OPEN FROM 9:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. SUNDAYS 9:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
    In this museum there are precious examples of Larimar and information about the only mine known to the world which is in the Dominican Republic.
    TELECOMMUNICATIONS MUSEUM (in progress)TELECOMMUNICATIONS MUSEUM (in progress)
    TELECOMMUNICATIONS MUSEUM (in progress)

    TELECOMMUNICATIONS MUSEUM (in progress)TELECOMMUNICATIONS MUSEUM (in progress)
    TELECOMMUNICATIONS MUSEUM (in progress)
    67. TELECOMMUNICATIONS MUSEUM (in progress)
    ISABEL LA CATÓLICA St. corner with EMILIANO TEJERA.
    The telecommunications museum, situated where the old Palace of Telecommunications was, is particularly attractive due to its technologic and interactive character. This institution will offer to the public the history of telecommunications and at the same time offer a documented history of the country. It uses 3-D stereo sound systems, computerized animations, electronic simulations, multimedia and the works to give the visitor a true voyage through the history of the world of telecommunications.
    HERITAGE COLLECTION CENTERHERITAGE COLLECTION CENTER
    HERITAGE COLLECTION CENTER
    68. HERITAGE COLLECTION CENTER
    (Casa Colonial Ing. José Ramón Báez López-Penha)
    LUPERÓN STREET corner with HOSTOS NO. 56. HOURS: 8:00 A.M. TO 3:00 P.M.
    In in 1995, it was referred to as “Engineer José Ramón Báez López-Penha Colonial House” after the great urban planner, master and pioneer of the restoration of the Dominican colonial monuments. In the interior patio there is bust of him in honor of his memory. Currently the building is the headquarters for the Centro de Cultural Heritage Inventory. You can find information there, past and present, about cultural heritage and the Dominican nation. Source: C.I.B.C.
    LIBRARY FOR THE CENTER OF ELEVATED HUMANISTIC STUDIES AND THE SPANISH LANGUAGELIBRARY FOR THE CENTER OF ELEVATED HUMANISTIC STUDIES AND THE SPANISH LANGUAGE
    LIBRARY FOR THE CENTER OF ELEVATED HUMANISTIC STUDIES AND THE SPANISH LANGUAGE
    69. LIBRARY FOR THE CENTER OF ELEVATED HUMANISTIC STUDIES
    AND THE SPANISH LANGUAGE

    MERCEDES STREET NO. 3. HOURS: FROM 8:30 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.
    This is a modern building well-integrated within the old colonial city style. It is a library with numerous volumes about the history of the Dominican Republic and Latin America.
    THE ACADEMY OF SCIENCESTHE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
    THE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
    70. THE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
    LAS DAMAS St.#110 corner with EL CONDE.
    A typical medieval colonial style house, it possesses many typical Dominican architectural elements from the era. The library is open, free of charge, to the public during working hours.  
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    71. RECTORY HOUSE
    71. RECTORY HOUSE
    EL CONDE St. # 4 corner with LAS DAMAS
    This is a corner building that served as a military hospital since the end of the XIX century, with a distinct neo-classical, monumental accent. Specialized masters worked on building it; they later became well-known figures in the construction sector of the city. They experimented, for example, with the first mosaics, finished in granite. It has served as the headquarters for various institutions. It belongs to the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo where the Cartography Institute and the Rectory House operate and hold activities related to the university rector. 
    HEADQUARTERS FOR THE DOMINICAN SOCIETY OF BOOKSHEADQUARTERS FOR THE DOMINICAN SOCIETY OF BOOKS
    HEADQUARTERS FOR THE DOMINICAN SOCIETY OF BOOKS
    72. HEADQUARTERS FOR THE DOMINICAN SOCIETY OF BOOKS
    LAS DAMAS St. #106.
    This is a typical medieval colonial construction. It is now a functioning library with a large number of old books and recent books on Dominican and Latin American history. Some of the institution’s publications are sold here.
    TRINITARIANS HOUSETRINITARIANS HOUSE
    TRINITARIANS HOUSE
    73. TRINITARIANS HOUSE
    ARZOBISPO NOUEL ST. # 255 (IN FRONT OF DEL CARMEN CHURCH).
    This was the where the secret Trinitarian Society was founded on July 16, 1838. The group continued to grow and exert pressure to obtain independence for Haitians and the creation of the Dominican Republic. Its slogan was “God, Nation and Freedom.”  Currently the building houses the La Trinitarian Library.
    PLAZA DE ESPAÑAPLAZA DE ESPAÑA
    PLAZA DE ESPAÑA

    PLAZA DE ESPAÑAPLAZA DE ESPAÑA
    PLAZA DE ESPAÑA

    PLAZA DE ESPAÑAPLAZA DE ESPAÑA
    PLAZA DE ESPAÑA
    74. PLAZA DE ESPAÑA
    BETWEEN EMILIANO TEJERA, LAS DAMAS AND LAS REALES ATARAZANAS Streets
    This large space belonged, in part, to the Alcázar patio or the Vice Regal’s Palace of the Columbus family. It was completely liberated toward the middle of the XX century. Its architecture is notably colonial in that it is surrounded by two-story houses that face the west. Currently it is used for public shows and entertainment in the city.   
    MARÍA DE TOLEDO PLAZAMARÍA DE TOLEDO PLAZA
    MARÍA DE TOLEDO PLAZA
    75. MARÍA DE TOLEDO PLAZA
    LAS DAMAS St.
    This space was originally a colonial house. The names of first founders of the city of Santo Domingo (1502), including Commander Nicolás de Ovando, are etched on the southern wall, which is made of carved stone. On Sundays, there is a famous Flea Market that takes place here where one can find all manner of antiques and other curiosities.
    PARK AND MONUMENT TO CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUSPARK AND MONUMENT TO CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
    PARK AND MONUMENT TO CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
    76. PARK AND MONUMENT TO CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
    EL CONDE St. between ISABEL LA CATÓLICA Y MERIÑO
    This old plaza is contiguous with the Cathedral of Santo Domingo, the first in America. The surrounding buildings are a concentration of religious and civil power, forming the original concept of a Spanish city in America. The bronze monument is a statue of Christopher Columbus with the native Indian woman, Anacaona, at his feet. It was built in Italy in 1899 during the government of the dictator Ulises Heureaux.
    PLAZA OF THE PRIESTSPLAZA OF THE PRIESTS
    PLAZA OF THE PRIESTS
    77. PLAZA OF THE PRIESTS
    Old cloister of the Cathedral
    The living quarters were used by the clergy during the colonial period.
    The side house was demolished when the cloister was open to street traffic. It has recently recovered something of its original privacy.
    FATHER BILLINI PLAZAFATHER BILLINI PLAZA
    FATHER BILLINI PLAZA
    78. FATHER BILLINI PLAZA
    PADRE BILLINI St. corner with ARZOBISPO MERIÑO
    This land was given to the municipality by a member of society in 1898 to place the statue of the illustrious philanthropist and educator as a well-deserved tribute to the man who founded various institutions to benefit the community’s neediest people.
    DUARTE PARKDUARTE PARK
    DUARTE PARK
    79. DUARTE PARK
    PADRE BILLINI St. between DUARTE AND HOSTOS (across from the Los Dominicos Convent).
    This is the place where the Trinitarians first met to plan their defense against the Haitian occupation between 1822 and 1844. A statue of Juan Pablo Duarte, the Father of the Republic, was built here in 1930. The park has undergone changes over these years, the last of which was in 1980 when the houses on the north side were enclosed.
    INDEPENDENCE PARKINDEPENDENCE PARK
    INDEPENDENCE PARK
    80. INDEPENDENCE PARK
    SURROUNDED BY PALO HINCADO, MERCEDES, AND MARIANO CESTERO STREETS AND INDEPENDENCE AVENUE
    Until the beginning of the XIX century, the area served as fairgrounds for large trade shows and the circus. In the second decade of the XX century, it was organized as a public space, with a plaza in the center surrounded by ornamental fountains. The original design was replaced in 1975 by the current design. Its center is used as the mile marker (or kilometer) for measuring distances around the country.
    MARÍA TRINIDAD SÁNCHEZ PARKMARÍA TRINIDAD SÁNCHEZ PARK
    MARÍA TRINIDAD SÁNCHEZ PARK
    81. MARÍA TRINIDAD SÁNCHEZ PARK
    SURROUNDED BY CALLES MERCEDES, 19 DE MARZO AND LUPERÓN STREETS
    This space, and the meeting of the various streets, has been dedicated to Maria Trinidad, a patriotic woman who belonged to the group which fought for National Independence. She was shot and killed for her activity against annexation.
    PELLERANO CASTRO PLAZAOPELLERANO CASTRO PLAZA
    PELLERANO CASTRO PLAZA
    82. PELLERANO CASTRO PLAZA
    SURROUNDED BY ISABEL LA CATÓLICA, LAS DAMAS AND ARZOBISPO PÓRTE STREETS
    This space was created to close access to Las Damas Street. Its environment was created based on steps and garden spaces creating a pleasant, shady corner. It was dedicated to the memory of this Dominican poet whose work reflects the atmosphere of the country.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    83. COMMEMORATIVE RECOGNITION OF SANTO DOMINGO AS A WORLD HERITAGE SITE
    83. COMMEMORATIVE RECOGNITION OF SANTO DOMINGO AS A WORLD HERITAGE SITE
    PLAZA DE ESPAÑA
    This commemorative site is located in Plaza España. It commemorates UNESCO’s December 10, 1990 declaration of Santo Domingo, the Colonial City as a WORLD HERITAGE SITE for its influence on architecture and urban design in America, for its historical value and for being associated with events and activities of universal importance.
    THE SUN DIALTHE SUN DIAL
    THE SUN DIAL

    THE SUN DIALTHE SUN DIAL
    THE SUN DIAL
    84. THE SUN DIAL
    LAS DAMAS St.
    This sun dial was built in 1753 on the plaza contiguous with the Palace of the General Governors or the General Captain. It faces south and west and sits on top of a large stone pillar; it has two vertical dials or faces, allowing for the time to be seen in the morning and in afternoons. It is located at an angle so that it could be seen by the judges and government offices in the Royal House and the Court House.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    85. COLONIAL SEWERS OF THE ROYAL SHIPYARDS
    85. COLONIAL SEWERS OF THE ROYAL SHIPYARDS
    ATARAZANAS STREET (ENTRANCE ON ISABEL LA CATÓLICA ST., corner with RESTAURACIÓN ST.)
    STATE-RUN GUIDED TOURS AVAILABLE
    Santo Domingo, among its many firsts, is the first hydraulic sewage system from the colonial period consisting of two systems of pipes. The first was built in 1502 before the construction of the city and is called the La Alcantarilla (sewer system) of Ovando. The second, built when the Royal Shipyards were built in 1509, is called the Sewage System of the Shipyards. It was built with bricks and masonry with a series of arches.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    86. COLUMBUS FOUNTAIN
    86. COLUMBUS FOUNTAIN
    PRESIDENTE FRANCISCO ALBERTO CAAMAÑO DEÑÓ AVENUE.
    This served as a place to store water and was called the Admiral’s Fountain. This engineering feat has been here since 1583.
    CASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉSCASA DE HERNÁN CORTÉS
    87. COLUMBUS’S CEIBO OR KAPOK TREE
    87. COLUMBUS’S CEIBO OR KAPOK TREE
    PRESIDENTE FRANCISCO ALBERTO CAAMAÑO AVENUE near the corner of JUAN PARRA ALBA
    The trunk is petrified consolidated in cement; this is traditionally considered to be the place where Columbus anchored and tied his ships when he was in the city.
    ALTAR OF THE NATIONALTAR OF THE NATION
    ALTAR OF THE NATION
    88. ALTAR OF THE NATION
    A modern monument built in 1975 and covered in marble. Near Independence Park to the west, it contains the remains of the heroes of the Dominican nation including, Juan Pablo Duarte, Matías Ramón Mella and Francisco Del Rosario Sánchez.
    MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"
    MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"

    MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"
    MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"

    MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"
    MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"
    89. MONUMENT TO "FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE"
    Built in 1947 on the central point of the Malecon, or Maritime Boulevard, of Santo Domingo in commemoration of the payment of the foreign debt to the United States left by deposed the dictator Trujillo. The debt was incurred by Trujillo allegedly to settle the convention of 1907 which maintained the Dominican Customs service under US control.
    COMMEMORATIVE COLUMN OF THE BALANDRA AURORACOMMEMORATIVE COLUMN OF THE BALANDRA AURORA
    COMMEMORATIVE COLUMN OF THE BALANDRA AURORA
    90. COMMEMORATIVE COLUMN OF THE BALANDRA AURORA
    PRESIDENT BILLINI PASSAGEWAY across from SANTOMÉ St.
    Built on the sewer pipes along the shore, it evokes the heroic attitudes of those who lost their lives when attempting to help save the Balandra Aurora in 1908. The fishermen were trying to save the ship which had fallen victim to a storm when entering port of Santo Domingo.
    MONUMENT TO MONTESINOSMONUMENT TO MONTESINOS
    MONUMENT TO MONTESINOS
    91. MONUMENT TO MONTESINOS
    PRESIDENT BILLINI PASSAGEWAY
    Fray Antón de Montesinos became a celebrated name when he made his Advent Sunday Sermon on December 21, 1511 to government officials. In his sermon, the priest denounced the abuses to the native people being carried out by the conquistadors. He was the first outspoken defender of human rights in America. This monument was a gift from the Mexican government to the people of the Dominican Republic in 1982.










    Untitled Document
    . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .
    This Portal was made by initiative of the Fundación Global and the Global Foundation.
    Reserved rights . Commentaries and Consultations on contents >

    Graphic design www.graphic-ideas.com >

coco
Search by words

All Some Phrase
Online Shopping
Book "New Perspectives: Dominican Republic" | Dictionary of the Environment
Events
A complete guide of all the events of DR
VI DR Environmental Film Festival
III Muestra de Cine Medioambiental Dominicano Working Together Towards A Green Society
September 13-18, 2016
Dominicanos en Grandes Ligas
Festival All about Major Leagues (Spanish Only)
e-postcards

Send a RD postcard to a friend

Fairs

City Fairs

Downloads
download

2015 Calendar
and more...

Photo Gallery
Gallery

Images of DR

Videos
video

Videos of DR

Publications
publications

Last
editions

Maps
mapas

Maps
of DR

Dates
Dates

A day like today...

This month, DR offers to you...
Teatro Nacional, this month
Casa de Teatro
Centro León, this week
Together
GFDD - Global Foundation for Democracy and Development
InteRDom - Internship Program