Third Period (1900-1930)
From 1909 the transformation process of the streets and sidewalks was started, forever changing the appearance of Santa Domingo. For the second decade of the century it had defined the main routes stemming from the outer suburbs. In 1922 construction of non-aligned housing was prohibited and this period also saw a reduction in the number of plots that might obstruct the rectangular layout of the streets of the outer suburbs.
- Separación (now El Conde). Undeniably and without doubt is has become the commercial center of the area. The definitive factor in this was its strategic position between east and west. Important several-story buildings have been built, such as el Cerame, el Diez, and el Baquero that improved the aesthetic and raised the profile of the city. The corners of Conde with 19t de Marzo, and Sanchez and Espaillat were the most crowded and the preferred place for locals to come together to comment on the latest news.
- Consistorial (now Meriño) and Comercio (now Isabel La Católica) have maintained their hegemony, as they were the oldest commercial routes within the city. The main Legal Offices are also located in buildings in la Meriño
- Del Medio (today 19 de Marzo). It continues to be the division between the north and south of the city, from which arose Malecón, a new place for public entertainment and leisure.
- Santo Tomás (now Arzobispo Nouel). Due to the fact that it was the direct port of entry to the city from the south, it was soon used for commercial means.
- Las Mercedes acquired greater relevance through being the direct point of contact with the routes to the north, in the direction of Cibao; besides the fact that it continues to be, within the city, the marker for excellence among the most wealthy sectors of the central neighborhoods and the neighborhoods with limited resources.
- La Misericordia gained importance due to the fact that it was the main link between the old walled city and the new neighborhood of Cuidad Nueva.
- La Palo Hincado, being the last western route from Old Santo Domingo, acted as a link between this city and the city of Ciudad Nueva.
- La Hostos continued to be the street that housed the most traditional and elite families.
- La Luperón was the first route, in a section stretching from Hostos to Duarte, to be covered with "tarvia". This was during the government of Ramón Cáceres.
- What is known as El Paseo or the Pier of Presidente Billini (in homage to General Francisco Gregorio Billini) was the only street created exclusive with leisure in mind (1909). It covered the south coastal paths, between the street of Santomé and 19 de Marzo, which join the routes of Espaillat and Sánchez, these having to be extended towards the south. The first stone was laid during the government of Morales Languasco, but it was only really undertaken as a project and completed during the government of Ramón Cáceres. The construction brought with it the disappearance of the ports of "la Alameda" from the area. It benefits from a beautiful balustrade on the edge that looked out on to the sea with a road doted with banks and groves of trees. On the northern edge, in what was called “Alameda de la Paz", where families settled, housed in European chalet type houses. These were unfortunately destroyed by the devastating cyclone of 1930. People from all social classes were brought together here for relaxation and celebration. It was also known as the "Paseo del Listín Diario” [Listín Newspaper Street], given that the project was undertaken as part of an initiative by that newspaper.
- The street was created from the vortex of streets in Consistorial (Meriño) and from Comercio (Catholic), that is, from Plazuela Duvergé situated to the south of the Santa Bárbara Church, and you would arrive at the old bridge called Ozama. From 1921 this road would be called Avenida España.
- La Independencia and la Bolívar provide access to the center.
- The Avenida Duarte was conceived as the main street of the neighborhood of Villa Francisca.
- La Capotillo (now Mella) was built on the most pronounced border of the northern zone of the city, from which new peripheral neighborhoods grew. It brought together the city with the district of Pajarito (now called Villa Duarte), situated on the opposite side of the Ozama River.
- The main streets in the outskirts corresponding to the old farming zone were:
- Avenida Bolívar, 1914
- Doctor Delgado, 1917
- Avenida Francia, 1922
- Avenida México, 1922
- Julio Verne, 1925