First Period (1844-1865):
The most important buildings of these neighborhoods were remnants of bygone
times still reflected in Santo Domingo today:
- The cathedral Catedral Metropolitana Santa María de la Encarnación:
Construction lasted from 1523 until 1541. Gothic style structure with Italian-style
main facade decorated with Renaissance touches. Two other doors show a Gothic
influence and another is in Plasencia-style. Corner of Arzobispo Meriño
and Isabel La Católica Streets.
- The fort palace Fortaleza Colón or Palacio Don Diego Colón:
Built at the beginning of the XVI Century XVI. Mudéjar (Andalusian/Muslim)
style. Located in the Plaza de España at the end of Las Damas Street.
- San Nicolás de Bari Hospital: Finished construction in 1522.
Corner of Hostos and Luperón Streets.
- The Royal Dockyards (Las Reales Atarazanas): Situated on the corner
of Colón and Vicente Celestino Duarte Streets. Received the first contract
for dock services in the New World.
- Royal Households (Casas Reales). Housed the Royal Courts and General
Headquarters of the colony. Corner of Las Damas and Mercedes Streets. Dates
from the first quarter of the XVI Century.
- Cordón House: Dates from 1503. Corner of Isabel La Católica
and Emiliano Tejera Streets.
- The convent Imperial Convento de Santo Domingo: Dates from the start
of the XVI Century. Its chapel Capilla del Rosario contains Plasencia-style
- Palacio Consistorial: Dates from 1504. Erected to serve as a residence
for the Mayor.
- The Mint (Casa de Monedas): Dates from 1540. Its entry is in Plasencia-style.
- The monastery Monasterio de San Francisco: Located on a small hill,
which made this building an important visual reference for the city. Corner
of Hostos and Emiliano Tejera Streets.
- Borgellá Palace: Dates from the XVI Century. The Haitian Governor
Borgellá turned it into the seat of government (1822-1844), submitting
the building to substantial changes. The building has French-style arcades
in front, an inheritance of the Haitian presence. It was the seat of the Royal
Court during the period of annexation to Spain (1861-1863). Number 103 Isabel
La Católica Street.
- Tostado House: Dates from the first years of Santo Domingo's existence.
Made of masonry and stone, has Gothic style window on its North facade. Corner
of Padre Billini and Arzobispo Meriño Streets.
- The church Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Carmen: Dates back
to colonial times. Corner of Arzobispo Nouel and Sánchez Streets.
- The church Iglesia del Convento Regina Angelorum: Dates from the
18th Century. The main facade is in a Plasencia-style with Baroque elements
and is made of in ashlar stone (sillería). Corner of Padre Billini
and José Reyes Streets.
- The chapel Capilla de la Tercera Orden de los Dominicos: Its present
structure dates from 1729. The facade of the temple is in a very sober and
simple Baroque style. Corner of Padre Billini and Duarte Streets.
- The church Iglesia del Convento de Santa Clara: Dates from the third
quarter of the XVI Century. Corner of Padre Billini and Isabel La Católica
- The Jesuit church Iglesia de la Compañía de Jesús
or the Panteón Nacional: Dates from the start of the 18th Century.
Served as a theater for the staging of many pro-independence plays. Corner
of Las Damas Street and María de Toledo Plaza.
- The chapel Capilla de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios: Dates
from the XVI Century. Was the private chapel of the Dávila Family.
Has a facade with double arch that is repeated in the interior of the chapel.
Corner of Las Damas and Las Mercedes Streets in the small plaza Plazoleta
del Reloj del Sol.
- The church Iglesia de Santa Bárbara: Dates from the end of
the XVI Century. Corner of Isabel La Católica Street and España
- The church Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de La Altagracia: Connected
to the San Nicolas de Bari Hospital. Its architectural style represnts a hybrid
between Old Gothic and Byzantine. Corner of Hostos and Las Mercedes Streets.
- The convent and church Convento e Iglesia Nuestra Señora de Las
Mercedes: The church was built between 1527 and 1555. It is notable for
its high quadrangular tower. Corner of Las Mercedes and Luperón Streets.
- The chapel Capilla de la Soledad: Dates from the 17th Century. On
Las Mercedes Street in the atrium of the convent Convento de Las Mercedes.
- The church Iglesia de San Miguel: Dates from the middle of the 17th
Century. Corner of José Reyes and Juan Isidro Pérez Streets.