|Government Norms and Quality Agency Launches Nor+ Program for Small Businesses |
The Norms and Quality Systems Agency (DIGENOR) officially launched a pilot project involving volunteer technical normalization to promote competitiveness among small and medium businesses (PYMES) through a training and general support program.
DIGENOR Director, Julio Santana, said this was an opportunity for the PYMES to grow and export to new markets,
The launch was carried out in honor of World Normalization Day, October 14th, to honor the efforts of thousands of experts who collaborate with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in the development of international voluntary norms that facilitate commerce, extend knowledge and share information on technological advances.
Nor+ Program was conceived to be carried out simultaneously in Central America and the Dominican Republic with the goal of promoting competitiveness among the PYMES through normalization of its products and the formation of management systems of world class quality.
DIGENOR Director, Julio Santana, said this was an opportunity for the PYMES to grow and export to new markets, adding that the program is supported by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and the Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF).
“This is a project that seeks to strengthen the export capacity of hundreds of small and medium-sized businesses through the application of internationally accepted technical norms. To arrive at this point, it is essential for the PYMES to voluntarily apply technical norms. This will be the case as they enjoy freedom to sell their products and services on new markets,” he said.
The Nor+ Program is expected to finance 60% of the technical norms application process among the PYMES.
As stated by Mr. Santana, the project offers the opportunity to initiate a massive technical normalization process through direct contacts, consulting and training activities, priority determination and the establishment of technical normalization committees with PYMES participation. In addition, he pointed out that businesses interested in voluntary participation must qualify as PYMES, in accordance with each country´s legislation. They must also have export capacity.
The Nor+ Program is expected to finance 60% of the technical norms application process among the PYMES. Afterwards, a group of evaluators will verify if they are being adequately implemented. The remaining 40% of the costs, the implementation as well as evaluation, will be paid by the PYMES. The DIGENOR will assume the costs associated with the diffusion and organization of related activities.
This support initiative for the PYMES through the application of technical norms has already been carried out in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela, countries involved with Norexport and which seek the same goals as the Nor+ Program.
“It is Central America and the Dominican Republic´s turn. With the Nor+ Program we will have a golden opportunity to show the world the value of the PYMES in these countries,” concluded DIGENOR Director, Julio Santana.
|Date of Publication: October 24, 2008|
Las ultimas noticias/novedades de lo que acontece con los Dominicanos en las Grandes Ligas durante toda la temporada 2019.