Second Period (1866-1899):
In general, the condition of the streets remained deplorable during the Second
Period. They were covered with sand, uneven, full of ditches and potholes, and
lacked both sidewalks and regulated drainage. They were often full of trash.
Main streets at the time were:
- Separación Street (today known as El Conde Street). During the Second
Period, Separación became a center of commercial and social activity.
Its sidewalks were irregular, largely composed of scattered bricks. The street
contained many hitching posts for animals, which meant that it often smelled
of manure, animal sweat, and aguardiente (a strong liquor). The street crossed
almost the entire city East-West, which increased its importance for daily
- Consistorial Street (known today as Meriño) and Del Comercio Street
(known today as Isabel La Católica) had less commercial activity, but
they led to the market and some of the city's most important stores.
- Del Medio Street (known today as 19 de Marzo) continued to divide the city
North-South. (Its name "Del Medio" was given because the street
divided the city down the middle.)
- Santo Tomás Street (known today as Arzobispo Nouel) experienced somewhat
of a boom towards the end of the Second Period due to the development of the
neighborhood Navarijo, the establishment of the New Market (Mercado Nuevo),
and the proximity of Separación (Conde) Street. Santo Tomás
led to the neighborhoods outside the walled city of Santo Domingo.
- Other streets that extended beyond the city walls were Misericordia (known
today as Arzobispo Portes), Padre Billini, San Pedro (known today as José
Gabriel García), Santomé, Regina (known today as José
Reyes) and Los Mártires (known today as Duarte).
- The street known today as Macorís was inaugurated in 1888 and is
the only street to officially open during the Second Period. Until its inauguration,
it had been a small road carved out by use over time.
- Other streets that emerged during the Period included:
- The street La Libertad (known today as Santiago Rodríguez), which
united the neighborhoods of San Lázaro and San Miguel.
- San Miguel Street, which prolonged until Los Mártires Street.
- La Martinico Street (now known as Francisco Cerón), which forked
off of San Miguel Street.
- The alley Callejón de la Laguna (Noria), parallel to La Martinica.
- The alley Callejón "Sal si puedes", in the San Miguel
- The alley San Miguel, in the same neighborhood.
- Polvorín Street which connected Camino de la Muralla (Juan Isidro
Pérez) with Las Mercedes.
- Camino de San Pedro Street, which connected the slaughterhouse with the
Cueva de las Golondrinas (the main city dump). This street was also called
"Del Faro" or "The Lighthouse" (as the Lighthouse was
nearby), or San Fernando.
- The installation of a trolley that went from El Conde and La Católica
to the Port, and from there to the bastion of La Concepción, must be