Untitled Document
Español | Home | Collaborate | Contact us | Links | Site Map | Register..

Home
Untitled Document



    Dominicana On Line - El Portal de la República Dominicana

    Architecture

    Periods

      · Features
      · Plazas 
      · Streets
      · Neighborhoods
      · Buildings

    Second Period (1866-1899):

    Plazas:

    • Plaza de Armas (later known as Plaza Colón): Plaza de Armas remained the political and economic center of the city during the Second Period. Santo Domingo's first gas (and subsequently, electric) lanterns were installed here. The City Hall considered the Plaza to be the city's principal open space a place of recreation. The Plaza was a favorite place for Sunday outings and was the preferred place of meeting throughout the week. It was remodeled, leveled and beautified by Ulysses Heureux in the year 1887, at which time the statue honoring Christopher Columbus was inaugurated.
    • Plaza Duarte: Formerly known as the Plaza de Anacaona, the Plaza de Santo Domingo, and the Plaza del Ex-Convento Dominico. It was remodeled and decorated in 1891 (by Ulysses Heureux), at which point it was also renamed.
    • Plaza de San Miguel: In front of the Arcángel San Miguel temple, this plaza was a square full of grasses and a few trees. It was also redone by the government of Ulysses Heureux in 1893.
    • Plazoleta Billini (previously known as Plaza Juan de Dios): This smaller plaza was located at the intersection of Plateros Street (Meriño) and la Universidad Street (Padre Billini). The plaza was re-inaugurated with a statue in honor of Father Billini in 1898. Damián Báez, a citizen of Santo Domingo who had owned the land since 1879, donated it to City Hall to serve as homage to Father Billini.
    • Plazuela Núñez de Cáceres: A small triangular area at the intersection of Mercedes Street, Luperón Street, and 19 de Marzo Street. Built in 1893 by Ulysses Heureux, it was also given the name "Plazuela Pacificador".
    • Plazoleta del Palacio: A small, sunny triangle adjacent to the Dávila Chapel (Capilla de los Dávila/Capilla de los Remedios) and in front of the Palace (Palacio Viejo). It had been used since the year 1885 as a parking area for wagons. It was gated and used as a park starting in 1893.
    • Special mention would have to be made of the clubs and centers of nightlife of the day: Club Unión, the Casino de la Juventud, and the Republican Theater (Teatro la Republicana) were most popular and frequented by members of the highest social classes.
       










    Untitled Document
    . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .
    This Portal was made by initiative of the Fundación Global and the Global Foundation.
    Reserved rights . Commentaries and Consultations on contents >

    Graphic design www.graphic-ideas.com >

coco
Untitled Document Noticas de culturaGalerías de FotosMapas de cultura
Search by words

All Some Phrase
Online Shopping
Book "New Perspectives: Dominican Republic" | Dictionary of the Environment
Events
A complete guide of all the events of DR
VI DR Environmental Film Festival
III Muestra de Cine Medioambiental Dominicano Working Together Towards A Green Society
September 13-18, 2016
Dominicanos en Grandes Ligas
Festival All about Major Leagues (Spanish Only)
e-postcards

Send a RD postcard to a friend

Fairs

City Fairs

Downloads
download

2015 Calendar
and more...

Photo Gallery
Gallery

Images of DR

Videos
video

Videos of DR

Publications
publications

Last
editions

Maps
mapas

Maps
of DR

Dates
Dates

A day like today...

This month, DR offers to you...
Teatro Nacional, this month
Casa de Teatro
Centro León, this week
Together
GFDD - Global Foundation for Democracy and Development
InteRDom - Internship Program