First Period (1844-1865):
In general, streets were made of stone and dirt and were full of furrows, weeds,
and trash. Few had sidewalks, which were uneven and narrow, and were more often
used as trash receptacles than as walkways. Between 1844 and 1865, the layout
of the city experienced no change. Main streets at the time were:
- Del Comercio Street (known today as Isabel La Católica Street).
This was the economic heart of the city. This and the streets around it were
dedicated exclusively to commerce. The Mercado de la Verdura (Vegetable Market)
was on Del Comercio. This was the most important market in the city. It was
open-air and consisted of a filthy space in which was mixed the food was not
well separated from animal waste.
- Separación Street (known today as El Conde Street). During the First
Period, this began to emerge as a commercial street due to its access to the
Western entrance to the city. The first points of sale established on Separación
were largely distilleries, tabbaco vendors, and liquror manufacturures.
- Consistorial (known today as Meriño Street). This was the longest
street in the city and one of the boarders of the Plaza Mayor square. As its
previous name indicates, it was the street that housed the City Hall.
- Del Medio Street (known today as 19 de Marzo Street). It was called "Del
Medio" or "of the middle" because it divided the city in two.
- Palo Hincado Street. This street connected El Conde (or Separación)
Street with the Western side of the city, and housed a slaughterhouse.