Untitled Document
Español | Home | Collaborate | Contact us | Links | Site Map | Register..

Home
Untitled Document



    Dominicana On Line - El Portal de la República Dominicana

    Architecture

    Periods

      · Features
      · Plazas 
      · Streets
      · Neighborhoods
      · Buildings

    Fourth Period (1930-1960):

    Streets:

    • El Conde Street becomes the site of functional rationalist architecture. Around the 1940's, the engineer José Ramón Báez López-Penha designed and built, with the help of architect Guillermo González, a stoop that unites the Eastern extreme of this street with the Port, thus balancing the unevenness between these two points.
    • Báez outlines Máximo Gómez Avenue and the Western Bypass (known today as Lincoln Avenue).
    • Danae Street/Los Siete Pianos Street, Osvaldo Báez Street, Dr. Delgado Street, and Mariano Lluberes Street are opened.
    • The Jetty. Was the extension of the old Paseo or Malecón Presidente Billini from what is known today as the park Parque Eugenio María de Hostos first to Güibia Beach (known today as George Washington at the corner of Máximo Gómez) and then to the Centro de los Héroes by the middle of the 1950's. Construction of the Avenue was begun in 1932 by the young engineer José Ramón López-Penha. It was baptized George Washington by the Dictator. The Jetty became one of the main settings for the showing of trujillista power as parades and military stops were carried out there (as they continue to be today). The dictator's party (Dominican Party) had its seat on The Jetty, and obelisks were erected there in celebration of the name change of the city to Ciudad Trujillo and the signing of the Trujillo-Hull Treaty (which ended the payment of foreign debts). The architectural ensemble of the Peace Fair (Centro de los Héroes) would also flow into in this walk, which has shaped the definitive morphology of the city. One of its effects was consolidating the expansion toward the west of Santo Domingo. Subsequently, it would be extended to Ciudad Ganadera and beyond until joining with the Sánchez Highway that leads south. This space, favored by the people, is the most important place in the city in terms of landscape and public space, excellent for celebration and the recreation. It is also known as "one of the most beautiful urban walks" of the Caribbean.
    • o The Avenida de las Américas ("Avenue of the Americas"). Leads from the Airport of the Americas (in Punta Caicedo) to Boca Chica Beach.
       










    Untitled Document
    . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .
    This Portal was made by initiative of the Fundación Global and the Global Foundation.
    Reserved rights . Commentaries and Consultations on contents >

    Graphic design www.graphic-ideas.com >

coco
Untitled Document Noticas de culturaGalerías de FotosMapas de cultura
Search by words

All Some Phrase
Online Shopping
Book "New Perspectives: Dominican Republic" | Dictionary of the Environment
Events
A complete guide of all the events of DR
VI DR Environmental Film Festival
III Muestra de Cine Medioambiental Dominicano Working Together Towards A Green Society
September 13-18, 2016
Dominicanos en Grandes Ligas
Festival All about Major Leagues (Spanish Only)
e-postcards

Send a RD postcard to a friend

Fairs

City Fairs

Downloads
download

2015 Calendar
and more...

Photo Gallery
Gallery

Images of DR

Videos
video

Videos of DR

Publications
publications

Last
editions

Maps
mapas

Maps
of DR

Dates
Dates

A day like today...

This month, DR offers to you...
Teatro Nacional, this month
Casa de Teatro
Centro León, this week
Together
GFDD - Global Foundation for Democracy and Development
InteRDom - Internship Program